Steps for Obtaining Indiana Drivers Permit
United States Citizen:
1) To be eligible for a license at 16 years and 90 days, your child must complete both aspects of an approved driver education course: 30 classroom or online hours and six behind-the-wheel hours. The 50 hour driving log is required of all new drivers whether they take driver education or not.
2) Your child must be at least 15 years of age before he or she can participate in either the classroom or behind-the-wheel phase of driver education.
3) Without completing a driver education course, your child must be 16 years of age to be eligible for a permit. Once completing 50 hours of logged drive time, your child can apply for a driver’s license if they are at least 16 years and 270 days.
4) If you are at least 15 years of age, are enrolled in a behind-the-wheel training course, and pass a knowledge exam to obtain your learner’s permit, you can legally drive with your parent or guardian. If you have not enrolled or completed a driver education course, you must be at least 16 years of age to legally obtain a learner’s permit to drive with your parent or guardian.
1) You may use your home country license (if you have one) as your Indiana Permit, BUT in able to do so you have to first take the written (multiple choice) test at the BMV and pass with an 80% or better score. Study the Indiana BMV manual for the written test! If you do use your international license, instead of obtaining the actual Indiana Permit, you don't have to wait the 180 day minimum to take the Drive Test. Under this option you will have to take the Drive Test at the BMV in your own vehicle.
2) If you don't use your international home license and go ahead and obtain the Indiana Permit you will still have to take the written test at the BMV, wait 180 days minimum to take the Drive Test AND will have to obtain 50 hours practice drives. If you take the BMV Teen Program (anyone aged 15+ through adult may take this), then you can take the Drive Test with the participating BMV approved Drive School in their car.
3) you must take the written test at the BMV at least 1 hour before they close.